Monday, August 3, 2009

Visiting the Fair Lawn Table Tennis club

The Fair Lawn Table Tennis Club

Yesterday I visited the Fair Lawn Table Tennis Club.

Fair Lawn Table Tennis Club, Kipp and 20th St. Fair Lawn, N.J.
Contact: James Graff - Superintendent of Recreation 201-796-6746
Email: recreation@fairlawn.org
Day:Sundays
Hours of operation: 5:00Pm to 10:00Pm
Number of Tables:9 Double Fish 99-45G Tables
Costs: $40/yr membership or $5/per night charge

The club is in the Community Center right next to the Football Field.
The Community Center is a beautiful new building, built for other
sports as well as table tennis. The table tennis area is in a well lit
gym with 9 Double Fish 99-45G tables. The only problem is that the
room may be too well lit and it sometimes hard to see the ball if it is
in the light of one of the windows. There is a definite difference
when changing sides. The play and the players are quite good and
if your looking for a good match your sure to find someone to play.
I found two players to play my first time. The first was a lady
around my age who knew the rules for tournament tennis and kind
of taught me along the way. I was so used to serving 5 times and
then receiving 5 times that at first I was all mixed up. Gradually I
got the hang of 2 serves receiving and then 2 serving. Everyone
plays the new rules of 11 point game and 3 or 4 game match. The
lady and I each won 3 games and it was very enjoyable because we
were close in ability and the games themselves were close, a few
going to 10 points each. After a short rest I was able to play a
very good player who was maybe Indian or Egyption. He beat me
easily the first 2 games. Then I started to get lucky and I won the
third game. I got 2 net cord winners and a ball that hit the edge.
He made a few errors and with my beginners luck I won a game.
He then beat me in the next 2 games to win the match. I really
enjoyed playing these matches, and I think that the Fair Lawn club
is ideal for beginners and intermediate players. I would say the
percentage of intermediate players is very high. I didn't see too
many well advanced players. I am comparing this to the NJTTC
where the play is very strong and there are many advanced players.
I am not saying that these are weak players, the play is taken very
seriously, and there are many above average players. If you're a
beginner or a little better you will find it tough to win a match.
So, if you are just getting started, have been playing for a while
or are a good intermediate player I would recommend the Fair
Lawn Table Tennis club.

No comments:

Post a Comment